Tuesday, April 10, 2012

How the other half lives: In the room with Casting...

Being a reader.
On 'that' side of the table. The Enemy. The best friend. "It was the reader's fault!"....
I'm dispelling the rumours, sharing my personal thoughts, and boy, do I have lots to talk about!

On Tuesday I had the pleasure of once again being a reader for Casting Director Ann Forry at Callback Casting.
It was an insightful, educational and super fun experience, to say the least. Also, so much more fun than my day job!! (No offence to my Boss, if he's reading this...)

It is an absolute pleasure to watch Actors bring their work into the room. They have so much hope, and this 'fighting chance!' energy about them that can be enrolling, exciting, and a thrill to watch.

But, I was amazed at how many actors completely forgot there was a reader when they came into the room. In fact they may not have even noticed me if the Casting Director didn't introduced me. I know I'm not, like super important, but seriously; I'm your life line, your human connection in that room, the one you can be vulnerable with, yell at, hate, fall in love with, whatever. It's a brief moment of connection and it is SO great when that does happen. But letting down that fear, that ego, to really do it, is like climbing a metaphorical intimate Everest!

But where's the fun in not doing that? Isn't that what we do? We are often called to ask ourselves; (or are asked by those who think we're crazy) Why do we do what we do?
The Director even asked a few actors that question in the room. Talk about on the spot!

Finding this out for yourself, just you, is part of the journey of self knowledge I think all actors take. All humans take. (And maybe cats, because I like them and they're cute.)

As I have more opportunities to be 'the reader', I am more and more inclined to remember what my teachers/mentors have said, and believe that it's the Actors who truly bring themselves into the room and to the character, that really shine.

Well, how do we do that? How does one put a finger on that?
Let's re-trace our steps right back up to the Self Knowledge topic!

Lots of people shrink from that word, it is daunting, and it can be scary. But as I've come to learn over the past year or so, and from doing a lot of personal digging, it's actually really kind of Awesome!
The thing is, no matter how much we network, or memorize monologues, or nail down our 'branding,' if at the end of the day we don't know who we are, and what we want, how will we ever understand human nature enough to honestly convey and relate to a character.

I am so grateful for all the books, and people and courses that have inspired me to look inward and 'be the change I want to see in the world.' It's a lifelong journey I hope to always be on, side by side with Acting. For me the two are hand in hand, one in the same.

Before we go, I do have a few more parting comments on Auditions:
- It's true, they really do want you to succeed, they want you to be great, they want to cast you!
- The reader actually wants to help you, to connect to you, they want you to rock it!
- Have fun in your auditions, it's a long day for those people at the table.
- And please, please, Thank your reader. People notice, just saying.

For more questions on general audition tips, decorum, my ideas, etc. or my opinions/experiences with my own personal growth path, please feel free to contact me at jane@janehancock.ca

Have a Happy Wednesday! xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment