Monday, April 23, 2012

Happy Birthday William Shakespeare!

All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances,
And one man in his time plays many parts,
His acts being seven ages.

As You Like It: Act 2, scene 7

Today is William Shakespeare's Birthday, and in case I haven't mentioned this before, I am so in love with him.
Well not him as a person, because I don't know him, but his plays.
From the first time I read A Midsummer's Nights Dream when I was about 10 or 11, I was enthralled by the poetry.
I can't explain it, but I've always loved it, and always just 'got it'. It's one of those things that I actually sit around and read for fun.
Plus he was a genius, wrote the most amazing sentiments ever, and invented most a huge portion of our language. He's probably the most quoted person.

Some of my favourite shows, monologues or scenes that I've ever done have been Shakespeare. I really feel that Iambic Pentameter is in my bones or blood or something.

In honour of Will's b-day I'd like to put out into the Universe my dream Shakespeare Roles:
Juliet
Ophelia
Katherine
Viola
Olivia
Lady Macbeth
Rosalind
(these are just a few at the top of my list!)
One of them I've already had the pleasure of playing; Katherine in Taming of the Shrew, and I hope to play her again one day.

What are you favourite Shakespeare plays? Do you love his works as much as I do?

There are also quite a few great Shakespeare movies. Shakespeare In Love is one of my all time favourites, as is Baz Luhrmanns Romeo + Juliet. And a few months ago I saw a film called Anonymous, it debates who really wrote the plays. It was very interesting, really well made, even if I want to disagree with its subject. I highly recommend it, for the acting and the costumes! Oh ya, costumes, I could do about a dozen blogs on my love of that!

Anyway, have a great Monday!

"O, how this spring of love resembleth
The uncertain glory of an April day;
Which now shows all the beauty of the sun,
And by and by a cloud takes all away."

Proteus, The Two Gentlemen of Verona (I, iii, 84-87)

(I'll be reading sonnets while I wait for my laundry to be done...)
xox

No comments:

Post a Comment